Friday, July 25, 2008

Anthropomorphism

Writen by Tyler Brown

Anthropomorphism. Do you know what it means? Give up? Ok, I'll tell you. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to inanimate objects or animals. What does it have to do with dog training? A lot. And for some people it is a major hindering force in their progress in training their dogs.

Too many times dog owners believe that their dogs are people. They believe that their dogs have the same feelings they do, process information the same way, and generally see the world through the same eyes. It is not true.

If you are going to effectively train your dog you must understand who he is. Or in this case, who he is not. And he definitely is not a human.


The best way, hands down, to housetrain a dog is through the use of a crate or kennel. By using this method you can ensure that when you aren't able to supervise your dog that he is safe and sound and not getting in trouble while in his crate. But what have I heard a hundred times? "How would you like it if you had to spend time in a kennel?"

My answer is always the same. "I would hate it! I would hate to spend time in a crate. I would also hate to eat dog kibble. I would hate to walk on a leash. I would hate to be covered in fur in the summer time. There are a thousand things I would hate about being a dog." Here is the catch folks, just because you would hate it doesn't mean that your dog would. My Rottweiler, Rocco, loves his crate. If I ever can't find him that is the first place I look. I properly conditioned him to his crate so now he views his crate much like a dog in the wild would view a den. Is it cruel to put him somewhere where he would voluntarily go on his own? I have asked many nay-sayers of the crate method how they feel about wild animal dens. Should we go around caving them in because they are cruel and unusual?

The anthropomorphism of dogs isn't limited to crates. This style of thinking has also invaded many other correct dog training principles such as training collars, the use of corrections in training, the need to establish dominance, feeding schedules, and much, much more.

At this stage it is important to note one thing. If you want to treat your dog like a person in many respects this is fine. If you want to dress your poodle in a pink dress or invite your lab to sleep in your bed, or feed your German Shepherd some vanilla ice cream go right ahead (talk to your vet first, though). But if you are letting tried and true dog training techniques go by the wayside because of anthropomorphism, you must re-think your training methods. I promise you, you'll thank me.

Author Tyler Brown is a renowned dog trainer whose training adventures and clients have taken him to 18 states and 5 countries to teach others how to properly train their dogs. Go to dogbehavioronline.com for more dog training articles, advice, tips, and answers from a professional dog trainer.

No comments: