Monday, September 22, 2008

Three Steps On How To House Train Your Dog And How To Potty Train Your Dog By The End Of The Week

Writen by Brad McCleary

If you're having problems with how to potty train or how to house train your dog, I have found the solution. I currently have four dogs of my own, three Weimaraners and one Chihuahua. It seems like just about the time I would get one partially trained, my wife would bring home another. I, of course, couldn't say no, so it seemed my kind heart was going to be the end of me and my house. I needed help, and I needed it fast!

If you've ever been threaten by a neighbor because of your dog, or had friends avoid your house because of your new dog, I know how you feel. If you've been stressed out with mauled furniture or ruined carpet, I've been there too. Maybe you've been embarrassed in public with your dog's disobedience, or even bitten by "your best friend", hopefully not; however I would still know exactly how you feel. Sometimes with all this stress, embarrassment and even physical pain, you wonder why on earth you should even have a dog at all. For any real pet owners however, you know once a dog's loyalty and obedience is gained, they are one of the biggest joys in the world.

Step one: You need to establish the pecking order, you are the owner; don't let your dog own you. You need to be firm and loving in all the same manner. Discipline your dog when they need it, and encourage your dog when they deserve it. The easiest way to help your dog understand your desires, is to be consistent. Do not let them get away with something wrong even once if you really ever want to house break your dog. A great way to help them develop good habits is to put them on a routine. Even now that my Weimaraners are fully trained I still have to get on to them every once in a while, just to reinforce who's the master.

Step two is the routine, especially when trying to potty train your dog. For instance keep them in a kennel overnight and first thing in the morning let them out to use the rest room. Let them out again around lunch time, and finally one more time at dinner. A good way to encourage them if they do good when out is to give them a treat and a lot of attention afterwards, or let them stay outside to play. This develops the idea of pleasing you for a reward. Treat the kennel as a holding cell, not a bed and breakfast. If they dislike being put away, they are a little quicker to learn. I used to let my Chihuahua out of his kennel to play with me and the other dogs, however as soon as he would do his business in the house it was right back into the kennel, with no attention. He would go crazy and wanted back out of his cage. I had actually rescued him from a puppy mill where he was used to being in a cage all day. It really helps to show your dogs love and attention. Even though my wife brought them home, remember I'm the one that has to take care of them, the dogs attach to me a little more than anybody else.

Step three is to always keep training your dogs. Whether you've got them to stop chewing furniture, or using the inside of your house to mark their territory, the more you push your dog to learn the more obedient they will become. There's nothing more exciting than showing off your newly discovered "smart dog" to your friends and family. Maybe you want to be able to walk your "trained dog" down the street and watch as other people are being dragged around everywhere by their disobedient dog.

I have finally gotten to the stage where I can be proud to take my dogs anywhere I go. It's a real treat and I know you can have the same with a little work. You can find all the tips and tricks I learned by visiting here http://www.we-review-for-you.com/redirectdogtraining.html

medical health hospital

No comments: